[IPP] Question: What is the generic term for both toner and ink?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Mar 7 23:33:04 UTC 2012

Glen,

Don't know if this will be helpful, but for printer-state-reasons the generic term we use is "marker supply" for any consumable other than toner.  Not particularly user-friendly.

For CUPS we translate marker-supply-low/empty to ink and toner-low/empty to toner. That leaves out wax-based printers, of course...

On Mar 7, 2012, at 3:08 PM, Petrie, Glen wrote:

> All,
>
> I was doing a write up related to a generic type printer (laser or inkjet) but I did not know what the accepted term is the encompasses both toner and ink.  Can someone provide me the accept term?
>
> Glen
>

> --

believed to be clean.