[IPP] question about IPP and icon file formats

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Sat Mar 17 17:19:41 UTC 2012

Greetings,

Can anybody provide me with some information about IPP and what facilities it provides to supply printer icons?  I have found the "printer-icons" attribute in the IPP Everywhere specification, which refers me to PWG 5100.JSP3, but so far haven't been able to fully track down the definition of that attribute.  Are there any other IPP operations or attributes for operations that provide icon information?

Are either PNG or Windows Icon (.ico) image file formats specified by any IPP specification as formats that must be used or supported?  If the latter is specified or allowed, are there any royalty issues with using that format?  And with PNG files, is there a facility for the Printer Object to supply a set of files at resolutions, sort of like an unpacked .ico file?

Thanks for any help or guidance,
Smith

believed to be clean.