[IPP] A different function model for discuss

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Mon Apr 2 22:38:18 UTC 2012

All,

After today's meeting, I thought I would try to draw a slightly
different representation of the functional model diagram than what is in
the current model document.  In the current model it is very unclear
what and where the "Cloud Print Manager" is (is in its own cloud or is
it proxy (so not really a cloud service) or in the printer (so not
really a cloud service)).   Why does the (Print) Client "register" with
the Cloud Provider instead of just using the Cloud Print Provider.

In the functional model attached, I propose the more cloud centric model
which places service, security and other functionality in the Cloud. The
model is not specifically concerned with interfaces such as using IPP;
it is meant to be more a very top level view.  In the attached model the
Client uses or accesses the Cloud Provider for printing services.  The
User interacts with the Cloud Print Provider to select a Print Service
associated with the User.  The Cloud Print Provider then sends
Capability information (which likely has no secure information) to the
Client.  The Print Client creates Print Job Ticket (with a Print Content
reference) which is sent to the Print Service (or Print Service Manager)
for printing.  The Print Service accepts (or rejects the Print Job).
The Print Service prints the Print Job and sends status info to the
Print Status Service.   Federated printing also work quit well with this
model.

Glen

believed to be clean.