[IPP] What natural-language registry is used by IPP?

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Sun May 6 20:33:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

I agree w/ Mike about an Informative appendix in IPP Everywhere
that updates IPP/1.1 Implementor's Guide (RFC 3196) with a good
discussion of matching of (underspecified and overspecified) tags
for natural languages.

Glen - note that the IANA subtag registry was machine-generated
by Doug Ewell in collaboration with the actual ISO standard groups
that produced all the source tags - this registry was verified by folks
from Unicode Consortium, Microsoft, Google, and others active in
the IETF LTRU WG - I was active for ten years in this IETF WG.

I would not characterize that IANA registry as "a mess" - it's used in
the message catalog and text processing software in a lot of operating
systems and all major web browsers.

Tricky - yes - that's the point of lifting examples from RFC 4647 to
show the language tag matching rules in practice.

The list for printers of 50 common natural languages is useless - I've
seen plenty of printers that support 100 or more.

But document DATA can be in any language (not just the console ones
in IPP generated-natural-language-supported) and UTF-8 or other
Unicode transcoding content can be correctly rendered using the
correct glyphs for the script and language by printers from many
manufacturers.

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Petrie, Glen <glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com>wrote:

>  Mike****