[IPP] IPP Everywhere and "The Great Compromise"

Daniel Dressler danieru.dressler at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 04:55:30 UTC 2012

As a random bystander I can confirm that "one of X and Y" sounds a bit odd.
Although the context does make it clear.

How about "Clients MUST support either DNS-SD or WS-Discovery or both" to
eliminate any final confusion with English's exclusive or.

While I'm being usless let me also suggest another wording "The
intersection between the set of client's supported protocols and the set
{DNS-SD, WS-Discovery} must not be the empty set."

Daniel

2012/8/20 Randy Turner <rturner at amalfisystems.com>

>  i think I understand the compromise, although I would have worded 1b and
> 2b a little different
>
> Clients MUST support either DNS-SD or WS-Discovery….
>
> It's just a different use of a contraction
>
> "…one of DNS-SD AND WS-Discovery"  seemed to use an AND contraction which
> implied both - someone might inadvertently parse this in a way we didn't
> expect….although I got the gist of the compromise.
>
> R.
>
> On Aug 20, 2012, at 9:16 PM, William A Wagner wrote:
>
> I think this is a practical and reasonable compromise. From at least my
> perspective, this does not put an unreasonable additional burden on
> printers while  making potentially easier for clients to achieve and claim
> compliance.****
> Bill Wagner****
> ** **

believed to be clean.