{Disarmed} Re: [IPP] Feedback on some of the feedback...

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 20:20:33 UTC 2012

Hi Mike,

Inline thoughts below.

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> Some feedback/questions about the feedback from the last IPP WG concall:
>
> GP28: Section 3.2.2: The Client queries the printer, not the User. – The
> term User can refer to both a person or to Automata. We need to select a
> different term to refer to actions only undertaken by people (not Automata)
> in the use cases.
>
> GP30: Section 3.2.2.x: "Jane" instead of "User"? – Same issue to be
> resolved as item GP 28.
>
> GP39: Section 3.2.2.4: "provides a preview" instead of "displays a
> preview"
>
> REJECTED: We're talking about the user interface, not the implementation
> details. –
>
> Because we are talking about a user interface for people, we need to
> resolve the same issue as GP28 and GP30.
>
> I would prefer to drop "automata" from the User definition; the
> alternative is to
>         start using Person (and Person Interface?) which is just awkward.
>
> <ira> I agree w/ Bill - simply using a proper name throughout (Jane, Bob,
etc.)
would be more readable in these informal use cases (section 3).

I also think we should make clear that "User" is normally NOT automata in
the use cases (and the definition).  In TCG terms, User is an Authenticated
Entity (and so are automata).
</ira>

> GP70: Section 4.2.3.1: Expand "air" to "auth-info-required (air)" – air
> is a word with a standard definition. Where we are using the term as an
> abbreviation, the use of “air” in this entry needs further clarification.
>
> "air" is never used as an abbreviation, and I am inclined to remove the
> whole
> historical reference to CUPS since it is just confusing people more than
> "why is
>  it called "air"...
>

> GP95: Section 6.1: Change "Figures 2 through 5" to "Figures 2 through
> Figure 5"? – change to read "Figure 2 through Figure 5"
>
> My Chicago Manual of Style is still in a box somewhere, and the only
> online reference
> I've found for this is the American Psychology Society's style manual
> which says to
>  use "Figures 2-5".
>
> <ira>
Ah but in chapter-figure numbering "Figure 2-5" could
be a reference.  For reasons of clarity, my wife Nancy
(the editor) prefers the original "Figures 2 through 5".
</ira>

> --
> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.