[IPP] Coloring, Coloring: Wherefore Art Thou?

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 16:56:34 UTC 2012

Hi Mike,

I agree with replacing "coloring" with the standard "filtering" term.

I found coloring in a lot of minutes, but also couldn't find it in the
IETF or early PWG IPP specs.

Cheers,
- Ira (buried in TCG meetings this week)

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Temporary Cabin *** 2012 only *** 906-494-2523

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have gotten more feedback on the continued use of the term "Coloring" in
> IPP specifications, and the reference back to 2911 as the reason for
> continuing its confusing existence.
>
> Thus far I have gone along with this reference - I remember us using the
> term when IPP/1.0 and 1.1 were being hammered out so naturally we must have
> used it in the spec, right?  But when one of my colleagues actually went
> looking for the term being used in 2911 she couldn't find it.  And then I
> went digging...
>
> So, as far as I can tell, we have *never* used the term "coloring" in an
> IETF RFC for IPP.  I also could not find the term used in ISO DPA.  The
> only place we have used it is in IPP JPS3 (now published) and IPP
> Everywhere (pending posting for Formal Vote).
>
> I also did a search of the mailing list archives and found several uses of
> the term, but I don't see it in any of the drafts (other than JPS3 and
> Everywhere)
>
> So, can anyone point me to the origins of the term?  Given the number of
> complaints about this in the past (even for JPS3), the obscure usage, and
> the apparent lack of precedent, I would prefer to use "filtering" (as
> requested on several occasions) instead of "coloring" in IPP Everywhere.
>
> Thoughts?

> --
> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.