[IPP] IPP FaxOut and "cover-page-info" conditionally required depending on PDF support - is this a good idea?

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Mon Dec 10 04:02:23 UTC 2012

Hello,

In our IPP F2F / teleconference yesterday, we discussed making "cover-page-info" conditionally required depending on some other criteria, such as whether the fax-capable printer supports PDF as a document format.  In thinking about this afterward, I began to have worries about whether this was really a good idea.

Interpolating between points like this seems like some kind of "formalized side effect", which doesn't sound like an optimal solution.  It would be much more clear if the fax-capable printer could explicitly communicate it does not support cover page generation by a boolean attribute.  I'm not sure of the best way to do this, and I assume there are "design patterns" for creating and extending "IPP attribute clusters" to address issues such as this?

My apologies if I missed something…

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy