[IPP] IPP FaxOut Issues from Canon

Yardumian, Rick RYardumian at ciis.canon.com
Fri Dec 28 19:43:59 UTC 2012

Hi,

Canon has the following issues with the current IPP FaxOut specification "wd-ippfaxout10-20121128-rev.pdf".

1. We think that cover page in section 3.4 Design Requirements should be generated not by the printer but the client.  We think that it is not preferable for users that each vendor has different cover page formats.  If the client generates the cover page, it is unnecessary to have a language font on the printer.  Requiring the printer to generate cover sheets means the printer must do localization which is a big burden for low cost MFDs. Therefore we would like printer generated cover sheets to be optional.

2. For 6.1.2.7 to (text(255)) we should follow each country's rule where the printer is located.  For example, in USA, 40 valid characters from the beginning is required.  So, we would like to take (text(the maximum number of valid characters from the beginning)) instead of (text(255)) for this requirement.  Is that OK?

3. Can we ignore 6.1.3.4 t33-subaddress (integer(0:MAX)) for a printer that cannot use this information?

4. 6.1.4 number-of-retries (integer(0:MAX)) and 6.1.5 retry-interval (integer(1:MAX)) might sometimes be ignored by following each country rule where the printer is located.  Is that OK?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Rick

believed to be clean.