[IPP] Re: [MFD] Comments on IPP Faxout Spec w/r SM FaxOut Service

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 17:55:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

Pete and I have both argued that RestartJob (terrible) and
ReprocessJob (a subset of ResubmitJob) shouldn't be in the
Semantic Model v2.0 (except for legacy Print Service).

I don't want to put them in any IPP Multifunction services.

ResubmitJob is necessary and is accounting-friendly.

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Sorry, finally getting a chance to read through this and respond...
>
> On Feb 24, 2013, at 4:50 PM, William A Wagner <wamwagner at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> In pursuing the question about  the SM correlation to
> Get-Printer-Suppported-Values in table 1, Operations for IPP FaxOut, there
> appear to be several inconsistencies.****
> 1.    ValidateFaxOutJob  does not exist. ValidateFaxOutJobTicket is
> probably intended.
>

> Correct.
>
> ****
> 2.    I find no RestartFaxOutJob in either the SM FaxOut Service or
> general SM Model. Does the make sense? There is a ResubmitFaxOutJob.
>

> I believe IPP's Restart-Job was never brought into the Semantic Model
> because of the accounting issues is causes.  I can ban its use in FaxOut,
> much like we've banned Print-Job and Print-URI, if people prefer...
>
> ****
> 3.     The SM FaxOut Service does not appear to differentiate
> GetFaxOutJobElements from the general Get<service>JobElements, which has an
> important difference from IPP Get-Job-Attributes.  Unlike the IPP
> Get-Job-Attributes, the GetFaxOutJobElements request does not specify
> individual Elements. Rather, the Client requests specific groups of
> Elements contained within the Job. The allowed values for RequestedElements
> are Job Receipt, Job Status, or Job Ticket. It is not clearly stated
> whether the FaxOut follows the Common Semantics (presumably it must) or the
> IPP printer approach.
>

> I believe this is an artifact of the web services binding; IPP has
> attribute groups that can be requested (job-template, job-description,
> etc.) as well as individual named attributes, so I don't think this is an
> issue.
>
> ****
> 4.    The SM FaxOut Service does not appear to differentiate
> GetFaxOutServiceElements from the general Get<service>ServiceElements,
> which has an important difference from IPP Get-Printer-Attributes. Unlike
> the IPP Get-Printer-Attributes, the GetFaxOutServiceElements request does
> not specify individual Elements. Rather, the Client requests specific
> groups of Elements contained within the Job. The allowed values for
> Requested Elements are Service Capabilities, Service Configuration, Service
> Description, Service Status or DefaultJob Ticket. This distinction is not
> clearly stated.
>

> Same comment as for #3.
>
> ****
> 5.    As follows from item 4, the correlation to  SM
> Get-Printer-Supported-Values is GetFaxOutServiceElements with values of
> Service Configuration, Service Description and Service Status (??)
>

> No, there is a semantic difference.  Get-Printer-Supported-Values returns
> the original manufacturer xxx-supported values while Get-Printer-Attributes
> [...]

believed to be clean.