[IPP] RFC: Identify-Printer mini-extension

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 17:40:08 UTC 2013

Hi Smith,

I pretty agree w/ you.  If the duration is brief (which was the original
intent of IPP Identify-Printer when proposed), then the cancel is
superfluous.

I don't think we can give a hard upper limit for the duration - instead
I suggest that implementations could support (e.g., via embedded
web server) changing the default times of various actions (e.g.,
blinking lights should probably last longer than audible signals).

I don't see the value in long durations (minutes) - tends to lead to
users cutting wires or taping over LEDs (there's a lively business
among independent mechanics in destroying stupid car alarms,
which studies have shown have no impact on reducing theft).

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com