[IPP] Models

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 17:30:19 UTC 2014

Hi Mike,

I like your drawing and explanations.

But conflating Input/Output Devices with Subunits (non-free-standing
components of a Printer,
Scanner, Copier, etc.) bothers me.  It doesn't cohere w/ the IETF Host
Resources and Printer
MIBs or the ISO 10175 DPA model (where subunits are all first-class
objects).

I suggest changing the common bottom solid line below Print Service to SCS
to a shorter height
block (than the service blocks) labelled "Shared Subunits (input tray,
marker, etc.)" to clarify this
distinction.

Historical Note:

In the ISO 10175 DPA model, there is actually a top object of Server.  For
consistency w/ IETF Host
Resources and Printer MIBs, Pete and I renamed it from Server to System
when I wrote the WIMS
multifunction schema that Pete mostly adopted into the Semantic Model 2.0
schema.

The ISO DPA Control operation (all admin ops rolled into one command) has a
target of Server
(and can startup or shutdown an instance of a Logical Printer).

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com