[IPP] A few points of feedback on "IPP over HTTPS and ’ipps’ URI Scheme" draft 9

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Feb 28 16:39:51 UTC 2014

Smith,

Some comments inline below...

On Feb 28, 2014, at 12:33 AM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) <smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:
> Section 4.2, Page 9:
>
>    Note:  IPP Printers ought to be cautious about depending on URI
>           lengths above 255 bytes, because some older IPP Client
>           implementations might not properly support these lengths.
>
> Should “ought” really rather be “SHOULD”?

IPP's URI type is pretty clearly defined with a maximum size of 1023 octets.  I believe this came from the original "ipp" URI scheme (RFC 3510), so perhaps we can just remove this line since I am not aware of any IPP clients that support "ipps" with this limitation...

> I’ve marked up copy of the PDF draft, that I will send to Ira separately so I don’t spam everyone else.  I don’t know if this feedback is “too late” but I thought I’d send it on anyway.

This is good and appropriate IETF LC feedback, thank you!