[IPP] Prototype version of IPP Scan Service specification available

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Mar 21 13:40:13 UTC 2014

Soma,

On Mar 21, 2014, at 7:14 AM, Soma Meiyappan <Soma.Meiyappan at conexant.com> wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>
> Minor detail on the ‘http’/’https’ scheme for Scan2:
>
> http is a transport for a number of application level protocols: One can use that to refer to standard PUT method or a RESTful method to store data on the destination. It would make sense that PUT is implied. Should the specification explicitly exclude RESTful methods from this and define another mechanism for identifying the supported destinations that are RESTful in nature?

We've never fully-specified how HTTP/HTTPS URIs are used, in SM or IPP.

It would be useful to say something here ("http" and "https" refer to destinations that support the HTTP PUT method using only standard HTTP headers), since POST requests will likely have specific header and/or message body requirements we aren't prepared to deal with.  Conceptually new "http+post" and "https+post" URI schemes could be defined that allow for HTTP POST usage, although that would be a bit trickier.

How about adding a "destination-uri-ready (1setOf uri)" (or 1setOf collection to allow for a description/name along with the URI) attribute to list ready/configured destinations?  Conceptually that would support typical workflow scenarios and allow the service to be configured for different HTTP protocol bindings.  Specifying a URI that hasn't been pre-configured would revert to HTTP PUT.

Thoughts?

(FWIW, the same could be done for document-uri's - that would support forms and other predefined content and make print-by-reference more useful)