[IPP] Potential errata/update for PWG Raster Format and/or IPP Everywhere specs

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed May 21 13:42:16 UTC 2014

All,

It has come to my attention that neither the IPP Everywhere nor the PWG Raster Format specs explicitly call out required values for the "pdl-override-supported" Printer attribute. This attribute specifies whether the Printer can override embedded job ticket information (such as media size) when requested in a Job via the "ipp-attribute-fidelity" or "job-mandatory-attributes" Job Template attributes.

Generally speaking, Printers SHOULD support PDL override for the standard PDLs in IPP Everywhere, including PWG Raster, JPEG, and PDF.  Typically this means forcing prints to a single media/size or forcing simplex/duplex output, and is particularly important for JPEG.

My recommendation is for us to add the following conformance statement in a future revision of the IPP Everywhere specification:

    pdl-override-supported (type2 keyword)

    When reporting capabilities for the 'application/pdf', 'image/jpeg', or 'image/pwg-raster'
    MIME media types, Printers MUST report either 'attempted' or 'guaranteed' for the
    "pdl-override-supported" Printer attribute,

Thoughts?