[IPP] Potential errata/update for PWG Raster Format and/or IPP Everywhere specs

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Wed May 21 20:33:44 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-21, at 2:23 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> On May 21, 2014, at 3:23 PM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Although one could do tricks with Client submitting a Job on hold and
>> Printer sending "successful-ok-ignored-or-substituted-attributes" (so
>> that the client could tell that the override was partial and WHERE it
>> wasn't performed).
>
> ... and in cases where job hold/release is not supported, the xxx-actual attributes can be used to track things as well - I think Smith already says something about this in the 'guide.  Of course, that presumes that the IPP Printer has access to the values used by the PDL for a given job - probably more likely than being able to do PDL override from my experience, but still not 'guaranteed' (there's that word again...)

And as we have discussed, since the Printer doesn’t bind values to xxx-actual until processing time or perhaps slightly earlier in some cases, this is basically “after the fact”.  This may tell the Client whether something was used or not, but doesn’t allow the Client to try to do something about it or have a sense before processing of what will happen at processing time.

Smith