[IPP] 5100.11 "job-password-encryption-supported" - what SHA version does 'sha' keyword indicate?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jun 16 20:56:01 UTC 2014

OK, the consensus at today's concall is that "sha" refers to SHA-1.  We will register the following values for SHA2:

  sha2-224
  sha2-256
  sha2-384
  sha2-512
  sha2-512_256

The latter is the 512-bit SHA-2 hash truncated to 256 bits as used in the upcoming HTTP Digest authentication update.

Once a non-draft US NIST (or other) specification is released, we will also register the following new values for SHA-3 and Shake:

  sha3-224
  sha3-256
  sha3-384
  sha3-512
  sha3-512_256
  shake-128
  shake-256

The IANA registration information for the SHA-2 registrations is:

Attributes (attribute syntax)
  Keyword Attribute Value                       Reference
job-password-encryption (type2 keyword)		[PWG5100.11]
  sha2-224
  sha2-256
  sha2-384
  sha2-512