[IPP] Proposed definition of "protocol binding"

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Aug 14 11:57:56 UTC 2014

Ira,

I dislike using the term in the definition - makes for circular definitions. Seems like we are talking about a transport mechanism.

And while we do normally focus on networking the existence of IPP USB also can allow non-traditional data paths to use our stuff.

Finally, "attributes" has specific meaning in both IPP and XML, so how about "data elements"?

That would make the definition:

Protocol Binding: The combination of a transport mechanism with a set of message formats, operations, and data elements that implement an abstract information model and associated set of abstract operations and data elements.

and for the IPP Binding definition in IPP Scan and IPPINFRA:

IPP Binding: The Internet Printing Protocol implementation of an abstract information model and associated set of abstract operations and data elements.

Thoughts?