[IPP] IETF I-D on transport port usage

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 21:15:35 UTC 2014

Hi Smith,

Ahem...the reference from RFC 2817 (HTTP Upgrade) to IPP is an *informative*
reference to the *obsolete* RFC 2565 (IPP/1.0 Model), which itself contains
the
IESG "poison pill" that says (partially):

  "This document defines an Experimental protocol for the Internet
   community.  The IESG expects that a revised version of this protocol
   will be published as Proposed Standard protocol.  The Proposed
   Standard, when published, is expected to change from the protocol
   defined in this memo.  In particular, it is expected that the
   standards-track version of the protocol will incorporate strong
   authentication and privacy features, and that an "ipp:" URL type will
   be defined which supports those security measures."

The IESG really disliked IPP/1.0 (for valid security flaw reasons).

IPP/1.0 was marked obsolete when RFC 2911 (IPP/1.1) was published
15 years ago, so the discussions in RFC 2817 are not a good source
for guidance on port usage (dual or overloaded single).

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com