[IPP] RFC: "printer-terms-of-use-uri" attribute for IPP INFRA?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Dec 18 22:02:42 UTC 2014

Smith,

> On Dec 18, 2014, at 4:17 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) <smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> Can you imagine any need for the Client to “prove” to the Printer or any other entity that the user has actually seen the offered terms of use content and has accepted it?  Or is that burden just on the Client and the Client’s implementation to “do the right thing”?  Not trying to add needless complexity and I’m no lawyer but this seems somewhat flimsy.

The referenced web page could provide a service sign-up/account setup link in order to establish credentials and enforce the terms of use, but I was not thinking of this as an enforcement mechanism but a standard way for a Printer to advise a Client that there are specific terms of use (vs. a regular printer that anyone can use...)