[IPP] Stable draft of IPP Finishings 2.1 posted for review

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Mon Sep 19 18:15:49 UTC 2016

Hello,

HP has the following feedback on Finishings 2.1:

RFC 3806 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3806> defines on page 19 the "maximumSheets" OID thus:

      maximumSheets(8),                  Integer32 (-2..32767)
         INTEGER:  Defines the maximum number of media sheets that a
           finisher device is able to process.

This RFC is a bit hard to parse, but it seems that maximumSheets is an "attribute" that is conveyed in a finDeviceAttributeEntry
sequence from finDeviceAttributeTable. There is no IPP equivalent to finDeviceAttributeTable currently defined, nor is there an equivalent IPP attribute defined to indicate this limit. (The "job-pages-per-set-supported" might have conveyed this information but it is defined as a boolean so a new IPP attribute would need to be defined to convey this limit.) An IPP Client that supports Finishings 2.0 / 2.1 would benefit from this information.

HP proposes the definition of a new IPP attribute "job-maximum-sheets-per-set-supported":

job-maximum-sheets-per-set-supported (integer)

The "job-maximum-sheets-per-set-supported" Printer Attribute specifies the maximum number of sheets per set that the Printer is able to process. It is semantically identical to the "maximumSheets" Finisher MIB attribute [RFC3806]. This attribute MUST be supported if the "job-pages-per-set" attribute is supported.

We can discuss this at a future IPP WG meeting if there are objections / questions.

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless Architect - Client Software - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB IF
    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group
    HP Inc.
*/