[IPP] Stable draft of IPP Finishings 2.1 posted for review

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Sep 21 14:36:07 UTC 2016

Smith,

Sorry for the long delay in looking at this...

> On Aug 26, 2016, at 5:33 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) <smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> In some discussions I have had within HP, I wanted to get some certainty about the orientation of "Portrait" in a long-edge feed scenario.  Figure 3 of the draft below shows the leading edge to be on the left side of the page. But when I went back to look at my earlier presentations where we were looking at Finishings 2.1 and feed orientation, the way that the pages were being shown would have had the leading edge be on the right edge of the page.
>
> I posted a slide deck to the PWG FTP site:
>
> http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/Finishings-2.1-Page-Orientation-and-Page-Leading-Edge-2016-08-26.pdf
>
> to try to illustrate the issue.  The basic question is: does a long-edge feed document get printed so that the right edge of the page is the leading edge, or does Finishings 2.1 define the left edge of the page to be the leading edge?

The leading edge can be the left or right side of the portrait page.  The orientation of the media is reported in the media-col-{database,ready}.media-source-properties.media-feed-orientation member attribute and is highly printer-specific.

If the Client requests finishings=staple-top-left, then the expectation is that the Printer will place the staple in the top-left corner of the portrait page.  The following ASCII art shows the location of the staple for various media-feed-orientation values:

media-feed-orientation=portrait

 +-------+
 |/      |
 |       |
 |       |
 |       |
 |       |
 +-------+

media-feed-orientation=landscape

 +----------+
 |          |
 |          |
 |\         |
 +----------+

media-feed-orientation=reverse-landscape

 +----------+
 |         \|
 |          |

media-feed-orientation=reverse-portrait