[IPP] First draft of IPP "save-password" whitepaper posted for review

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Dec 8 13:43:39 UTC 2017

Smith,

I just did a read of this draft and wanted to provide some feedback while it is fresh in my mind:

- Section 1: some mention of job-password being a Job Template attribute, but it is an operation attribute (which is correctly noted in subsequent sections
- Section 4.2: Any password attribute needs to be protected, so these should be operation attributes and not Job Template...
- Section 6: Will obviously need a lot of discussion of how to protect and handle the passwords.

Overall I'm still not sure about the use case for this, or how it would all work together.  Is this an extension of "job-save-disposition", where the password would be used for the saved document?  If so, I'd recommend that the attributes be called "job-save-password[-xxx]" to make that clearer, and add some discussion of that.

Also, how does a Client re-print the saved job?  Resubmit-Job with "document-password"?