[IPP] Updated draft of IPP Job Save Password posted for review

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Mar 12 13:48:28 UTC 2018

Smith,

Some quick feedback after looking at the new draft:

- Abstract: The wording here seems a little redundantly redundant. :)

- Sections 4.1.3 and 4.1.5: RFC updates - 7616 for Digest and 7617 for Basic.

- Section 4.1.6 (and this is probably an errata for IPP Scan and IPP INFRA as well): access-x509-certificate is insufficient by itself for authentication - you need the private key as well to do the signing (to prove that you "own" the certificate...) Probably need to say that the printer obtains the signing key through an out-of-band means.

- Section 5.1: Not sure how to use this attribute; we don't have its equivalent for IPP Scan or INFRA.

- I think we'll need to add an Additional Semantics section to briefly say that job-save-accesses gets copied to the Job Object but not returned as a Job attribute.

- Section 16: Should say more about protecting the values of job-save-accesses in transit and at rest.

Overall I think the draft is shaping up, although my gut says we still need to frame/document the scope and usage a little more - right now I can see how this would provide credentials for the save process but not how it requires those credentials for the reprint use case.