[IPP] RFC: Drop 1284 device ID requirements from IPP Everywhere 1.1

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Apr 17 12:13:02 UTC 2018

Paul,

> On Apr 17, 2018, at 5:14 AM, Paul Tykodi <ptykodi at tykodi.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Where I believe some vendors use them to send pre and post job processing device specific commands, I don’t believe we should fully retire support for the 1284 device ID’s at this time.

While I acknowledge this may be true for general IPP printing, the device ID is not needed for IPP Everywhere since we have higher-level PDLs that respect Job Template attributes.  And in the case of PWG Raster, the pwg-raster-document-xxx attributes are used by a Client to produce a compatible raster stream, *not* the 1284 device ID.

> Are you planning to make them an OPTIONAL requirement?

Basically, although I'd like to just remove the references in the IPP Everywhere specification and let the original definition in PWG 5107.2 stand for vendors that want to support the attribute.