[IPP] Registration request for attributes from "Wi-Fi Peer-to-Peer Services Print (P2Ps-Print) Technical Specification v1.1" for PCLm

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Aug 28 22:46:15 UTC 2018

Smith,

> On Aug 28, 2018, at 3:20 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architect) <smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> HP Inc. requests the registration of 5 IPP attributes defined in the "Wi-Fi Peer-to-Peer Services Print (P2Ps-Print) Technical Specification v1.1" relating to the PCLm document format definition therein. The "Wi-Fi Peer-to-Peer Services Print (P2Ps-Print) Technical Specification v1.1" is one of the files in the "Wi-Fi Peer-to-Peer Services Technical Specification Package v1.2" available here: https://www.wi-fi.org/file/wi-fi-peer-to-peer-services-technical-specification-package-v12
>
> These are the attributes to be registered with accompanying section numbers from the source specification where they were defined:
>
>    Job Template Attributes:
>    ---------------------------------
>
>    3.12.4 pclm-raster-back-side (keyword)
>    This Job Template attribute specifies the bitmap coordinate system for
>    the back side of duplex sheets and the following keyword values are
>    defined:
>
>        +---------+------------------+-------------------+
>        | KEYWORD | LONG EDGE ORIGIN | SHORT EDGE ORIGIN |
>        +---------+------------------+-------------------+
>        | Normal  | top-left         | top-left          |
>        | Rotated | bottom-right     | top-left          |
>        | Flipped | bottom-left      | top-right         |
>        +---------+------------------+-------------------+

Keyword values need to be lowercase to be registered...  Also, is this really a Job Template attribute? How does a Client know which coordinate system to use for a given Printer?

>    3.12.8 pclm-source-resolution (resolution)
>    This attribute specifies the source resolution of the current job.
>    Resolution is specified in dots-per-inch.

I'm not sure how I feel about forcing the units - the resolution syntax supports both dots-per-inch and dots-per-centimeter...

(not that it matters for the registration - the Printer will tell the Client which values it will support...)

>    Printer Description Attributes
>    ---------------------------------
>
>    3.12.9 pclm-source-resolution-supported (1setOf resolution)
>    This attribute enumerates the printer’s supported source resolutions
>    (specific to PCLm). Specifies the resolution or range of source
>    resolutions supported by the printer. The return value(s) shall be in
>    dots-per-inch. Typically, a printer will produce better resolution and
>    perform better when the source and printer resolution are equal.

See above.

>    3.12.10 pclm-strip-height-preferred (integer)
>    This attribute specifies the preferred strip height for the printer for
>    jobs that have PCLm document format.

Height in pixels/lines, right?

>    3.12.11 pclm-strip-height-supported (1setOf integer)
>    This attribute specifies the strip/swath height that the printer
>    requires. If non-zero, the Strip Height shall be a power of 2 and shall
>    not be less than 16. The strip height is specified in source space
>    coordinates. This attribute is only required for PCLm jobs. Strip height
>    is relative to page i.e. if 16 means strip height is = page length/16.

"Source space coordinates" == "pixels/lines"?