[IPP] New draft of IPP Authentication Methods posted

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Wed Jan 16 17:22:30 UTC 2019

Hi Ira,

> On Jan 16, 2019, at 10:05 AM, Ira McDonald <blueroofmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Smith,
>
> This *should* have been labeled Prototype (not current Interim)

I remembered that when I started editing but forgot to change it. I will that change and post an updated draft to nudge that forward.

> and there
> should be an email Prototype report (e.g.,"this spec documents all of the
> existing IPP Authentication Methods, all of which have implementations")
> so that, by voice approval, we can move it to Stable draft and WG LC.

I know HP products have supported 'none', 'requesting-user-name', 'basic', and 'digest'. I suppose I need to solicit feedback from other members on whether the authentication methods not implemented by HP might be implemented by them? Has any other vendor or project implemented support for 'negotiate', 'oauth', or 'certificate'?

> Bear in mind that, for a Best Practices document, we actually also need
> PWG LC *and* PWG Formal Vote (not just PWG Call for Objections),
> because this is a new spec and not errata and that's our process for
> Best Practices documents.

Thanks - I forgot about that. Even better reason to finish it off.