[IPP] IPP Everywhere PWG-Raster AND PDF Requirement

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Mar 5 00:30:01 UTC 2019

Sean,

> On Mar 4, 2019, at 4:34 PM, Sean Kau via ipp <ipp at pwg.org> wrote:
>
> That's sensible behavior for the standard as applicable to printers.  Is there a recommendation for client behavior?  It seems like clients should prefer PDF since that should be smaller on the wire,

Generally speaking, if the Client can produce PDF then it should use it.  However, if the Client is printing a JPEG image (without special layout) and the Printer accepts JPEG, it should send the JPEG and not try wrapping it in a PDF or rendering as PWG Raster.

That said, a Client should also handle the document-unprintable-error case and retry as raster if the PDF (or JPEG) fails.  You can see this behavior in the CUPS ipp backend (where it tells cupsd to retry the job and use raster...)