[IPP] RFC: Relationship between job-retain-until-xxx and job-password

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Fri Mar 15 17:52:13 UTC 2019

> On Mar 15, 2019, at 10:44 AM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architect) via ipp <ipp at pwg.org <mailto:ipp at pwg.org>> wrote:
>
>> 4. WRT "job-print-password", what if (and I haven't thought this completely through yet) we define another parallel attribute, "job-password-action (type2 keyword)" that defines the semantics of the "job-password" attribute, with the default being "hold-job" to preserve the 1.0 semantics. Something like:
>>
>> job-password-action (type2 keyword)
>>
>> This operation attribute specifies how a Job is processed when the "job-password" (section N.M.P) operation attribute is included in a Job Creation request. Standard keyword values include:
>>
>> - 'hold-job': The Job is placed in the 'pending-held' state and is released when the "job-password" value is entered at the Printer's console.
>> - 'process-and-retain': The Job is placed in the 'pending' state and it scheduled for processing without waiting for the User to enter the "job-password" value at the Printer's console.
>> - 'retain-only': The Job is placed in the 'completed' state as soon as all Documents are received by the Printer.
>>
>> Once in a terminating state, the Job is retained according to the current value of its "job-retain-until-xxx" attributes.
>
> I like it! I'll update my EPE draft to specify that and we can discuss that first draft at our next IPP WG meeting.

OK, more questions:

1. Should "job-password-action" be an operation attribute, or a Job Template attribute?

2. We would want the semantic to be that if the "job-password-action" was 'retain-only' or 'process-and-retain' then the "job-password" value would become a "hidden Job Status attribute" so that the Printer would require the "job-password" to be entered before any reprints could occur.

3. I'm not clear on the semantic meaning of 'process-and-retain'?