[IPP] Issue of document-format-details Attribute

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Thu Apr 11 15:01:42 UTC 2019

Hi again,

I will attempt to articulate the reasons for the proposal in the IPP Work Group to obsolete the "document-format-details" attribute (PWG 5100.7 "IPP Job Extensions"). My goal is to provoke those who have concerns with this proposal to respond so that we can come to collectively understand the problems with "document-format-details", and agree on how best to solve those problems.

There are several shortcomings with "document-format-details". One problem is its "non-interoperability". The term "non-interoperability" in this context means that the syntax of many of the member attributes of "document-format-details" are defined to use data types that allow a broad range of user- or vendor-defined values with no well-defined values or structure. The lack of structure and/or registered values makes interoperability challenging at best if the values are supposed to be machine-consumable. (Other IPP attributes suffer from this problem - it isn't just "document-format-details".)

Here are the member attributes of "document-format-details":

 document-format				mimeMediaType
*document-format-device-id			text(127)
*document-format-version			text(127)
 document-natural-language			1setOf naturalLanguage
*document-source-application-name		name(MAX)
*document-source-application-version		text(127)
*document-source-os-name			name(40)
*document-source-os-version			text(40)

All of the ones in red and starred above are basically text strings with no value registry defined. These are the ones that suffer from "non-interoperability".

The other shortcomings with "document-format-details" involve the risk of leaking PII / personal data, and the lack of data trustworthiness. I won't explore these contributing factors here, but I won't cover them here. If others would like to respond with a more detailed examination of these shortcomings, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to get slides made for us to discuss these topics in Lexington.

The original plan was to simply OBSOLETE "document-format-details" so that all of these shortcomings could be handled simply by making it "go away", and then work to find a replacement that doesn't suffer from the same problems. But there are alternatives. If we DEPRECATE "document-format-details", ecosystems using that attribute can continue to use it for some time, and hopefully migrate to whatever new solution is developed. Those ecosystems may be able to manage the PII / personal data leakage issue and the data untrustworthiness issue as effectively a closed system, but it will be on them to manage that.

One other alternative could be to bind registries to those member attributes to resolve the "non-interoperability" issue, but we are still faced with the PII / personal data leakage issue and the data untrustworthiness issue. While this is an option, I don't think this is worth pursuing.

A potential replacement for "document-format-details" might be "document-metadata" [PWG 5100.13], which is structured and might solve the non-interoperability problem. But we still need too address the PII / personal data leakage and data untrustworthiness issues, which may necessitate defining new attributes with associated authentication and visibility semantics so that at least the PII / personal data leakage issues are addressed.

Please do reply to this message with arguments that contribute to resolving this issue. We will likely discuss this in an upcoming IPP Work Group meeting and/or at the April F2F (https://www.pwg.org/chair/meeting-info/april-2019-lexington.html <https://www.pwg.org/chair/meeting-info/april-2019-lexington.html>).

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless & Standards Architect - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB-IF
    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group
    HP Inc.
*/