[IPP] Initial draft of a "IPP Custom Print Quality and Intent Extensions"

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Thu Apr 18 01:40:34 UTC 2019

> On Apr 17, 2019, at 5:40 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at msweet.org> wrote:
>
> Some quick comments:
>
> 1. The tooltip stuff in strings files should be a separate Best Practice.  Yes it will be mostly boilerplate... :(

OK. Can reference that from this doc.

> 2. print-color-mode-default: Drop

I'm interpreting this to mean to remove it from this document, since it is already defined in 5100.13?

> 3. print-color-mode-supported: Should be print-color-mode

I'm interpreting this to mean just relabel the sub-section to be "print-color-mode"?

FWIW, I've been struggling with a related stylistic concern. If one is defining an attribute, say that specifies a keyword type syntax, and there are standard keywords defined as well, should those standard keyword definitions be made in the "xxx-supported" or "xxx" subsection?

> 4. print-quality enum extensions: enums are not supposed to use values 1 and 2... :(

Hum - I always puzzled over that. Why is that? Whatever the reason, we need to capture the reason for that in our as-yet-to-be-started IPP Design Patterns document...

> Maybe we could look at a "print-quality-col (collection)" attribute with more details?  Or define a separate range (10-19?) representing 10 different vendor-specific qualities?

I'd probably tend toward the latter since that attribute is already widely supported, and I don't know what other fields a "print-quality-col" might provide. Let's see if others have thoughts on that.