[IPP] MIB construction information

Paul Tykodi ptykodi at tykodi.com
Fri May 10 19:29:53 UTC 2019

Hi Paul,

IPP protocol alerts are harmonized with MIB functionality of PWG authored MIB RFC’s. Current versions of Wireshark recognize and can properly dissect IPP.

If you decide you have to go the MIB route, the communication to printer resident MIB’s is typically SNMP based. In my career, I have reviewed Wireshark traces of SNMP v1 and SNMP v2 network flows involving MIB communications with a printer and Wireshark captured the communication correctly.

I don’t believe I have ever reviewed an SNMP v3 trace though.

Best Regards,

/Paul

Sent from my iPhone