nchen at okidata.com nchen at okidata.com
Tue Jun 19 14:00:07 EDT 2007

Ira,

Thanks for the comment.

I think it's better to use a different term than "scanner" for the scanner
subunit. Let's discuss the group's concensus, or whether this should be
discussed in the WIMS instead of the MFD WG in the Thursday
teleconference.

-Nancy

"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>
Sent by: owner-mfd at pwg.org
06/19/2007 01:04 PM

<nchen at okidata.com>, <mfd at pwg.org>
cc

Subject
RE: MFD> [scanner term] Meeting Minutes for June 14 Teleconference posted

Hi,

Good minutes, as always - one comment about 'Scanner' subunit.

In WIMS/1.0 (an approved PWG Candidate Standard) and thus in
Counter MIB v1 (an approved PWG Informational Specification),
there is a subunit named 'Scanner' that corresponds to the
'Marker' (used in Print Device).

The confusion occurs because of the use of the obsolete (and
ambiguous) term 'Printer' to mean 'Print Device'.

Thus, the WIMS XML schemas (and Counter MIB enumerations) name a
'Scan Service', 'Scan Device', and 'Scanner Subunit'.

MFD modelling work should NOT overload the ambiguous term 'Scanner'
to mean 'Scan Device'.  The 'Copy' and 'FaxOut' services will also
use the 'Scanner Subunit', but that does NOT mean that they will
use the entire 'Scan Device'.

If we wish to replace the term 'Scanner' (for the subunit) with
some other term, then we need to make this decision and come to
concensus quite quickly, since it breaks the 'Subunits.xsd' XML
schema in WIMS and the 'IcSubunitTypeTC' textual convention in
the Imaging State and Counter MIB (soon to move to PWG Last Call).

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald at sharplabs.com