McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Wed Jun 20 11:39:20 EDT 2007

Hi Nancy,

Thanks - I tend to agree.

So here's a suggestion with a rationale.  I propose the
new term 'Scan Subunit', by analogy to 'Scan Service'
and 'Scan Device' (aka Scanner).

This causes least breakage in WIMS/1.0 and SM/2.0 schemas.
Where we enumerated service and device types as above (i.e.,
the function term with a 'service' or 'device' suffix) and
named our classes (and schemas) accordingly.  The only
affected existing schema would be 'Subunits.xsd'.

It's important to note that we agreed several years ago
in WIMS protocol and Counter spec work that we would NOT
use the term 'Printer' (too ambiguous, due to IPP usage
to mean a 'Logical Printer'), but rather 'Print Device'.

So we should NOT use (in the formal MFD model) the term
'Scanner' to mean 'Scan Device'.  We should instead avoid
the use of the ambiguous term 'Scanner' entirely.

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434