Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Thu Dec 6 13:48:12 EST 2007

< text > means remove text

[ text ] means include or add text

{ message } means request or action

( text ) means a question from me or I need clarification

==========

In general, all diagrams use lower-case for defined terms and in many cases
use shorten terms (i.e. Scan Job Template is simply called template).   The
diagram should match the documentation so that people using the
specification can see a direct correlation between the diagram and the text.
Also individuals may use the diagrams independently; thus, making the terms
be consistent is important.

==========

Line 225:

... other MFD functions [including a different scan job].

Line 237 ... Physical Scan Job Ticket

{change} object {to} hardcopy

Line 237 ... Physical Scan Job Template

{change} object {to} hardcopy

Line 237 ... Scan Job

(how does this differ from Scan Document)

Line 237 ... Scan Service (at last line of the definition)

... locally or remotely [to the MFD].

Line 237 ... Scan Mailbox

(Isn't scan to a mailbox out of scope?)

Line 237 ... (new definition)

[Configured Scan Job Template   object   A Scan Job Template that has been
modified (configured) to represent the end user Scan Intent.]

Line 237 ... Scan Document Data

(Is there any real difference between Scan Document and Scan Document Data
as defined?)

Line 237 ... Scan Client (at last part of the definition)

....with the end user [, Template Management Service, scan repository,] and
a Scan Service.

Line 237 ... Local Client

... Local Scan client [through out] <with> this document.

Figure 1 - Last Arrow (10b)

(10b) Store template [remotely] (if storage.....

Line 247 to line 249

... <Since Web Service .................... (to the end of line 249>

Line 276

6.1.1 Processing Flow <Requirements>

Line 282

... Scan Service <(scanner)>, the ...

Line 283

... for each element [of the Scan Service].

Line 285

(Is the word "attributes" correct or should it be "elements" or  should it
be "attributes and elements"?)

Line 287

... of the [C]<c>onfigured Scan ...

Line 289

... store the [C]<c>onfigured Scan ...

Line 291

... validates the [Configured] Scan ... ensure the [template]<temlate>
is....

Line 292

... ... Scan Job Template [in the specified Template Repository]<at the
repository> (local...

Line 294

... that their [Configured] Scan Job Template....

Line 295

... remote Scan Client [application].

Ended at the bottom of page 14

(Requirement section:  I had the understanding that a requirement statement
must only state a single requirement.  That is there can not be an "and"
unless it is a condition on a single requirement.   Therefore, the following
suggestions separate the compound requirement statements into individual
(testable) requirement statements.)

Line2 301 to list 314 become

Design Req 1.1  A Scan Service SHALL response to a "create new template"
request from a Scan Client.

Design Req 1.2  A Scan Service, in response to a "create new template"
request from a Scan Client, SHALL provide data elements that, at a minimum,
are included in the default Scan Job Ticket.

Design Req 1.3  Data elements provided by a Scan Service SHALL contain the
default values of descriptive and processing elements of a Scan Job Ticket.

Design Req 1.4  Data elements provided by a Scan Service SHALL contain the
capabilities supported by the Scan Service.

Design Req 1.5  A Scan Client SHOULD validate that a Configured Scan Job
Template is well formed.

Design Req 1.6  A Scan Client SHOULD validate that a Configured Scan Job
Template has element values with the specified range of the elements.

Design Req 1.7  A Template Manager Service SHALL validate that a received
new, modified or Configured Scan Job Template is well formed.

Design Req 1.8  A Template Manager Service SHALL validate that a received
new, modified or Configured Scan Job Template has element values with the
specified range of the elements.

Design Req 1.9  A Template Manager Service SHALL support storage of new,
modified or Configured Scan Job Template for a specified Scan Client.

Design Req 1.10 A Template Manager Service SHALL support storage of new,
modified or Configured Scan Job Template for a specified end user.

Line 327

... accounting firm, [turns on his local]<walks up to a> MFD [and], places..

Line 336

6.2.1 Processing Flow <Requirements>

Line 340 to 343

{ delete these line; they will become steps. }

Line 344 ( insert new line after )

[

Step 1 The end user turns on the MFD.

Step 2 During the MFD power-on initialization, the Local Scan Client
automatically discovers all reachable Scan Services and Template Manager
Services in its network domain and/or uses a configured specific list of
Scan Service and Template Manager Services.

]

Line 345 to 367

{ Renumber the step numbers }

Line 347

... the end user <then> [and} returns the ...

Line 348

Template to which <he/she is authorized> [ the end user is authorized to
use.]

Line 349

... selects the <s>[S]can [Job] <t>[T]emplate for <his/her> [their]
<s>[S]cab <job i>[I]ntent.

Line 350 - 351

{This step should be removed from this use case since the use specifically
stated that Scan Job Template is pre-defined for the end user.}

Line 353

representing the end user's Configured Scan Job Template,]

Line 354

... validates < whether> [that] the [Configured Scan] [Job] <t>[T]emplate is

Line 355

... in the [Configured] <s>[S]can [Job] <t>[T]emplate <(i.e. whether they
are supported).

Line 356

... instantiates the [Configured] <s>[S]can [Job] <t>[T]emplate...

Line 357

... instantiates a <s>[S]can <j>[J]ob...

Line 357 (insert new line after)

[

Step xx  The Scan Service assigns a Scan Job Identifier to the created Scan
Job.

]

Line 358

... schedules the <s>[S]can <j>[J]ob.

Line 359

.. executes the <s>[S]can <j>[J]ob.

Line 360

... stores the <digital d>[Scan D]ocument(s) at the <specific storage
location.> [specified Document Repository.]

Line 361

... that the <s>[S]can <j>[J]ob...

Line 362

... user the <s>[S]can <j>[J]ob is complete <based on the information in the
Scan Job Ticket>.

Line 364

... based on the <Job ID> [Scan Job Identifier].

Line 367

... to retrieve <his>[their]...

Line 368

Repository <where the document is stored>.

Line 369 (Figure 2)

(Should a new (top) step be added illustrating the Local Scan Client
locating Scan Services and Repositories?)

Line 369 (Figure 2)

{ Step (5) should be removed.  It could be changed to be [(5) Select Scan
Job Template matching Scan Intent.] )

Line 369 (Figure 2)

(7) Send <user's> [Configured Scan Job] <t>[T]emplate  <-- too many of this
type of fixes to show all of them.

Line 369 (Figure 2)

[ (10a) Assign Scan Job a Scan Job Identifier.]

Line 369 (Figure 2)

[specified Document Repository.]

Line 369 (Figure 2)

[specified Document Repository.]

Line 369 (Figure 2)

(17) Find [Scan] <d>[D]ocument <location> [file name(s).]

(Note the location would have been specified in the preconfigured Scan Job
Template.)

Line 369 (Figure 2)

(18) Retrieve Scan Document [by file name(s) from the Document Repository
specified by the end user].

(I don't believe the "Other Client" will, in general, have access to the
Scan Job information, so it can get content by normal file retrieval
operations. This info could be put in the process flow (the last step)
versus the diagram.  The point is the "Other Client" may not have access to
the Scan Job info  unless it makes a request to the Scan Client for the Scan
Job Information specifically.)

Line 374 to 381 (There is a complete initialization process and multiple
requirements described.  This is my attempt to break it down.)

(Design Req 2.1 introduces concepts not discussed in the use-case or the
diagram.   To solve this I changed the "walk up" to "turns on".)

(A new entity called a "server" or a "Scan Server" was introduced.   Do we
really need to introduce a new entity.  Can the Scan Client executes a
broad-cast discovery to find "currently" attached Scan Service and Document
Repository Services or the Scan Client can listen for broad-cast by from a
new attached Scan Service and Document Repository Services.  I would use the
first method since a Scan Client may not be active until the user invokes
it.

Design Req 2.1 A Scan Service, at service start-up, MUST register its
service descriptive information with a ???????????????????

(I don't know how to break down the requirements at this time until the
group has more discussion on this.)

Line 382

( I believe that section 15 discuss the how; what is needed here is just the
requirement for service discovery)

Design Req<uirement> 2.x  [The Scan Client, Scan Service and Template
Manager Service SHOULD implement secure communication for service discovery.
(See Section 15 for discussion and considerations.)]

Line 384

Design Req<uirement> 2.x The Template Manager Service <SHALL> [MAY] provide
<a List Template message interface that> authenicat<es>[ion of] the end
user<'s rights....>

Line 384 (insert new line after)

[

Design Req 2.x The Template Manager Service SHALL supply a list of Scan Job
Templates authorized to the end user.

]

Line 386

{remove and replace with following individual requirements}

Line 387 - 398 (replace all with the following)

[

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service SHALL validate that a Configured Scan Job
Template is well formed.

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service SHALL support a "must honor attributes and
elements" specification by validating that all the specified attributes and
elements in the Configured Scan Job Template are support by the Scan Service

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service SHALL support a "must honor attributes and
elements" specification by validating that all the specified attributes and
elements in the Configured Scan Job Template are within the range for the
Scan Service

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service MAY support a "need not honor attributes and
elements" specified in the Configured Scan Job Template that are supported
by the Scan Service but outside the the range for the Scan Service by a
default or appropriate value.

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service MAY support a "need not honor attributes and
elements" specified in the Configured Scan Job Template that are not
supported by the Scan Service by ignoring the attribute or element, or using
an equivalent attribute or element.

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service SHALL instantiate a Configured Scan Job
Template to a Scan Job Ticket.

Design Req 2.x A Scan Job Ticket SHALL be a copy of the instantiated
Configured Scan Job Template.

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service SHALL create a Scan Job.

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service SHALL bind the Scan Job Ticket to the Scan
Job.

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service SHALL assign the Scan Job a Scan Job
Identifier

]

Line 399

Line 402 - 434 (This read on how to program something and not as a
requirement. If there is requirement for a specific MINE type, etc then
write it as a requirement but should not require that the file be number
1-N; that is an implementation detail; not a requirement.   It could be put
in a later section as best practices.)

[

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service SHALL support storage of an individual Scan
Document in a single file.

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service SHALL support storage of an individual Scan
Document by storing each page (or image) within the Scan Document in a
separate file.

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service SHALL record in the Scan Job Ticket the
location and name (URL) of all associate files.

]

Line 435 - 437 (replace with)

[

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service SHALL create a Scan Job Receipt at the
completion of a Scan Job.

Design Req 2.x A Scan Job Receipt SHALL contain a list of all attributes and
elements used for the Scan Job.

(I don't understand what the "document processing instructions" are that
need to be recorded.)

]

Line 438 - 441 (again this is programming implementation or details not a
requirement)

[

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service SHALL notify the Scan Client at the
completion of a Scan Job.

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service MAY notify the Scan Client at the completion
of a Scan Job by means of an event.

Design Req 2.x The Scan Service MAY notify the Scan Client at the completion
of a Scan Job by means of a request from the Scan Client

]

Line 442

( I would have thought that any Scan Document file was storing by
communicating (via API's) with the Document Repository ONLY???)