Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Fri Nov 14 13:06:27 EST 2008

Peter,

I started reading the Scan Service Specification, but out of time today.
The following are my comments up to page 10.  I am not sure this is the
level of feedback you were expecting.

Glen

My comments

Page 8, Line 250

-- change "sope" to "scope"

Page 10, Line 265

-- Active Jobs

    - what is the significances of the phrase "instance specific".  Can
the phrase be removed?

      It is used in other definitions.

-- ADF

    - In OpenPrinting work, specifically the job-ticketing API, the term
"tray" referred to input

      and the term "bin" referred to output.  Thus, my comments are.

-          Line 3, change "from its bin" to "from its input tray"

-          Line 6, change "ADF bin" to "ADF output bin"

-- Attribute

    - I find the definition of a generic word like "Attribute" to be a
little strange.

    - From the web I found this

"is an entity that defines a property of an object, element, or file. An
attribute usually consists

of a name and a value. Its definition can be extended by a datatype, a
representation format,

a default value and restrictions."

-- CrossFeed direction

    - Should there be a space in "CrossFeed", i.e. "Cross Feed"

    - Should "direction" be capitalized?  If it is there for
clarification should it be in brackets,

      i.e. "CrossFeed (direction)", since direction is not part of the
term being define but is only

      being used for clarification

    - Line 4,  I suggest changing "(See also Fast Scan direction, X and

      "(See diagram in $7.14)"

    - Line 5, The line should be "The Cross Feed direction is also
referred to as the X, X-Feed or

                 Fast Scan direction.   I would also move this before
the bracketed comment in Line 4.

-- DefaultScanJobTicket

    -- Are we defining the term "Default Scan Job Ticket" or the
variable "DefaultScanJobTicket".

       I would have assumed it was the term and not the variable. This
comment apply to other

       "terms" in the definition table.

    -- Line 1, the phase "an instance of" implies that the Scan Service
is instantiated for each job.

       1.) I don't think this is the intent of the meaning and 2.) it
implies an how to implement, which

       we should not address.

    -- Line 2-5, should the term "values" be elaborated to "Attribute
values" (or "attribute values")?

-- Destination

    -- Line 1, The sentence is not a complete sentence, is the phrase
"end point" necessary and

       is it "URI" or "URL"?

      I suggest "A Destination is a network address (i.e. URL) of a
storage ......"

    -- If the Destination is internal storage, is that really specified
by a "network address"?

-- Digital Document

   -- Line 1, The sentence is not a complete sentence and "scan service"
should be "Scan Service".

      I suggest "A Digital Document is the output of a Scan Service
containing the digitized data

                     resulting from the scanning of a Hardcopy
Document(s)."

All/Most of the remaining definition do not have a complete first
sentence.  If the intent is that the

word being defined is to be part of the first sentence, then the first
word in the "definition" should

not be capitalized; otherwise, the noun (the term being defined) needs
to be put into the first .

I.e. "Digital Document    is the output"  or "Directory Service     is
a"

-- Directory Service

    -- This definition is states or implies a lot of implementation
specifies; i.e. organizes, administrator

       manages, .....   Will the MFD working group create a Directory
Service Specification; if not, then

       we need to use a common definition

    -- Definitions I found on the web:

          -- A data source according to ITU specification X.500 that
holds data organized in a tree structure

          -- A software service that integrates with a user/group
directory

          -- A service that provides a white pages-like directory of the
users and resources located on an

             enterprise network

          -- A directory service is simply the software system
[application] that stores, organizes and

             provides access to information in a directory.

    ----- I like the last definition

-- Fast Scan direction

    - Is there a space between "Fast Scan" or is it "FastScan".  If
there is a space should

      "CrossFeed" be "Cross Feed"

    - Should "direction" be capitalized?  If it is there for
clarification should it be in brackets,

      i.e. "Fast Scan (direction)", since direction is not part of the
term being define but is only

      being used for clarification

    - Line 4,  I suggest making the end of the definition match closer
to "Cross Feed"

      i.e. This is the direction along which the image data is most
quickly acquired. If the light

            bar or media moves, this direction is at a right angle to
that movement. The Fast Scan

            direction is also referred to as the X, X-Feed or Cross Feed
direction.  (See diagram $7.14)

-- Feed direction

    - Should "direction" be capitalized?  If it is there for
clarification should it be in brackets,

      i.e. "Feed (direction)", since direction is not part of the term
being define but is only

      being used for clarification

    - Line 4,  I suggest making the end of the definition match closer
to "Cross Feed"

      i.e. The Feed direction is also referred to as the Y, Y-Feed or
Slow Scan direction.

            (See diagram $7.14)