MFD> MFD Teleconference, Thursday 1/29 3:00 EDT

MFD> MFD Teleconference, Thursday 1/29 3:00 EDT

MFD> MFD Teleconference, Thursday 1/29 3:00 EDT

William A Wagner wamwagner at
Tue Jan 27 15:42:58 EST 2009

 Some comments and questions.

1.       It is common usage that a Job is submitted to the Service. This is
in Abstract to the Resource Service  and at various places in the text. I
have used the expression extensively in working on the General document. But
in the model that is being defined, the user/client submits a CreateJob
request, and perhaps he submits a document, but the Service creates the job.
At least that is my understanding. Since this aspect of the model is
different from common usage, I suggest we avoid the terminology of
"submitting a job" in that it would reinforce a concept contrary to the

2.       I have trouble with saying that the Resource Service is accepting
Jobs (para et al). From my understanding of the overall model, it
does not accept, create or deal with jobs. It accepts and provides
information about accepted resources to a user/client. It provides resources
to other Services. Should this be "is accepting  and supplying resources"

3.       If we agree in general that  paths to and from Testing are
implementation dependent, I suggest that the "test" operation be removed and
perhaps that the Testing state be removed from and

4.       The sole purpose is to provide resources to other services.  Yet
are we considering the Resource Service to be completely independent and
separate from  the Job Processing services?

a.       Are the basic service operations described in Section 7.1 the
inter-service operations as well setup and configuration operations with a

b.       Is there but one access path, so that in the Idle State, it is
handling neither client or Service requests? And in the Processing state, it
is handling requests from a either client or another Service?

c.       When it is Down and offline with respect to clients, is it also
offline with respect  to responding to other services, perhaps in the same

5.       SetResourceElements (7.1.11) and all of the Administrative
Resource Service Operations  (7.2) are not indicated as Required or

6.       In the compliance section (8), requirements are placed on clients
and Resource Service.  If the operations listed also apply to the supported
Services, are these Services also Resource Service clients? If so, I suggest
that it is not reasonable to require them to support all of the "required"

Bill Wagner