MFD> Scan Service Sectionr 10

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Mon Feb 2 13:31:37 EST 2009

Ira,

Sorry, I am not following you. What I was attempting, in what little way I
can, is to have the Scan Service document at least consistent within itself.
If my attempt has been unsuccessful, I will most willingly drop the
suggested changes.

I agree that it is good to also have the document consistent with related
documents; but one cannot assume that readers are all familiar with the
various other documents that you reference, at least not to the extent that
terms and concepts in those documents are common knowledge and need not be
defined (at least by reference.. but that can get cumbersome)

The term "System" as a formal object is not defined in the Scan Service
document. The word system is appears to be used in a general sense, although
perhaps this is just my interpretation. Indeed, I wonder if these uses of
the word, although they may be derived from other definitive specifications,
make sense.

	1831 Pending - the job has been accepted by the system and is
awaiting system resources before it can start processing

	2276	Aborted - The Document has been aborted by the system, ...

Neither does the Scan Service document use the term Startup Event (except
cryptically in the State table) although it does use Startup() in the State
Diagram and define StartupScanService as an (optional) operation. (How is
the service "created" if there is no Startup operation?)

I find your explanation that "Startup *event* (not operation) arrives at the
Service object in Initial phase / Unknown state..." confusing considering
your statement that it is the "StartupScanService operation... sent to a
System (NOT a ScanService) that creates a new instance of a ScanService in
the Initial phase..." If StartupScanService creates a service, how can the
Startup *event* arrive at the Service...unless of course the Startup event
is a secondary result of the Startup operation, occurring after the
operation has already created the service. Or perhaps the Startup event is
completely independent from the Startup operation?

But I really question whether all this is germane. I think it is important
for the specification define the external interfaces and how the service (or
system) responds to them. I think it desirable that the specification not be
self inconsistent or unnecessarily confusing. I think that attempts to
define the internal implementation beyond what is necessary to characterize
black-box behaiour are unnecessary, will usually be ignored, and may cause
the document to be ignored. This of course is just my opinion.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner