[MFD] Re: Resource Service updates for Security

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu May 14 22:42:34 UTC 2009

Hi Bill,

Point well taken - it was NOT my intent to address security
issues in depth in MFD Model and Overview at all.

It's perspective.

The P2600 approaches (which are very fuzzy in details)
may be sufficient.  My point is that *if* they don't actually
RECOMMEND both antivirus and firewall on every MFD,
then they are NOT the best practice nor the best that can
be done.

Systems are responsible for their own integrity - period.

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
 579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
 734-944-0094
summer:
 PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
 906-494-2434

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:10 PM, William Wagner <wamwagner at comcast.net>wrote:

>  I would suggest that the security issues of a Resource Service (and the
> Resource Service type aspects that may be within any hardcopy device) are a
> reasonable subject for the IDS group. At this point, my understanding is
> that we are doing a conceptual modeling of MDF Services. As such, we must
> recognize that there are security issues but it may not be reasonable to go
> into them to a detailed but  inevitably inadequate level.
>

> Indeed, one could argue at what point do we grind P2600 considerations into
> the models of all of the MFD services? If we decide it belongs in the
> Overall MFD discussion (which may be justifiable), I withdraw from being
> responsible for that document.
>

> Security issues need to be address (along with several other things), but I
> suggest that we establish the basic imaging model first.
>

> Bill Wagner

believed to be clean.