[MFD] Issue for MFD teleconference Thursday 10/29?

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 20:33:25 UTC 2009

Hi Bill,

Your reply is confusing.

The only way that "Requirements may be updated during
development..." in an external document is the entire PWG
Initial/Interim/Prototype/Stable/LastCall/FormalVote process
(minimum 6 months, usually more than a year) - that's worse
for timeliness than an embedded Requirements section.

And I find your attack on Power Model for not having a first
Power Management Requirements document rather out of
proportion.

I personally have written ALL of the Requirement sections
and specs in the PWG since PSI (last 5 years).

Before I ever proposed the first Power Model sketch in June,
I evaluated four vendor private MIBs (publicly available ones),
DMTF CIM (and their extensive Power Profile), ACPI, IEEE
1621, and three large user scenarios within Samsung (not
publicly available).

Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 2:33 PM, William Wagner <wamwagner at comcast.net> wrote:
> Ira,
>
> This discussion is more appropriate to the SC list.
>
> But note that the "Process" document states that "Requirements may be
> updated during the development of the standard, as they become clearer.", so
> the process addresses the potential issue of "stale" (or more likely,
> incompletely considered) requirements. But what it also does is discourage
> generating solutions to problems perceived but not clearly delineated.
>
> I agree that the "stawman" approach of generating a spec draft, getting
> comments, and writing the requirements later is often more expeditious, but
> it can go awry for more complicated projects.
>
> Although I threatened to unilaterally generate a Power Management spec, I
> really would have preferred doing a good requirements analysis of Power
> Management before you submitted your first draft of solutions.(But perhaps
> we would not have had much participation, as the results of the survey
> suggested.)
>
> Bill Wagner

believed to be clean.