[MFD] Dec. 8-9 Face-to-Face Meeting Minutes is now available

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Fri Dec 18 18:52:28 UTC 2009

MFD WG,

Sorry about these questions so close to the holidays, but I would like to
solidify the meeting comments before they are lost to our celebrations.

1.     With respect to item 1 below, I suggest that a path from Print,
FaxOut, EmailOut to an external repository is valid only if it is a normal
part of the service that a client can extract the document  from that
repository. Using an external repository for JobSave, if that digital
document is not normally accessible to the outside world, is an internal
implementation aspect and should not be considered in the model any more
than a Copy Service Digital Document should be. That being agreed, my
question is then whether it is a customary or desired feature of any Print,
FaxOut, or EmailOut Service to allow alternate access to a Digital Document.

2.     I am confused by several comments in the minutes relative to
operations, and admit that I was working with the document at the time they
were discussed so did not digest the discussion at the time. The comments
start on line 84 of the minutes and deal with Table 49 and the following
text.

a.      Add "comma" between all parameters.

(no problem)

b.      Get<service>XXXElements: Pete proposed the semantics of these
operations to be taking the requested element name (the keyword of the
top-level elements) as input, and returns one selected top level element
group elements (e.g. capabilities, default ticket, . etc., of a service) .
One exception is that the MediaCol element is quite large and thus the
elements of this group are not returned for Capabilities group. A single
element can only be returned by adding an extension operation. Pete will
align the current Print Service with this semantics.

Does this mean:

.        The  parameters supplied with the Get<service>DocumentElements,
Get<service>JobElements and  Get<service>ServiceElements operations must
include "Top-Level" elements?

.        What are the  "Top-Level"  elements? The original writeup
identified DocumentReceipt, DocumentStatus or, DocumentTicket; JobReceipt,
JobStatus, or JobTicket;  and ServiceCapabilities, ServiceConfiguration,
ServiceDescription, ServiceStatus or DefaultJobTicket.

.        Can only one "Top-Level"  element be included in one request? This
is implied in the original writeup but not clearly stated.

.        The "exception" for MediaCol is disturbing. Are we to simply say
that all complex elements and constituting elements except MediaCol and its
constituent elements are reported?

                                                                 i.      All
Services must align with this semantics. This is the same used in WS-Print.

                                                               ii.      Bill
will add these statements in the Conformance section.

.        The paragraph defining the operation will reflect  the semantics,
once we clarify what the semantics is. I do not understand "ii". The
Conformance section, as revised,  requires that the Service Specifications
use the definitions in the Overall document. The Overall document does not
specify the conformance requirements of any Service.

c.       Set element - should be able to set a specific element

                                                                 i.      Set
uses sparsely populated tree (only contains element values to be set). IPP
specifies that "this must be an atomic" operation.

                                                               ii.      Get
element: The client can obtain a specific group of elements. (not IPP
semantic, a WS-scan semantic).

                                                             iii.      Bill
will resolve offline with Ira's comments.

.        It is unclear to me what I need resolve with Ira's comments. I am
concerned however about the semantics of all of the operations ,
particularly the response. I would assume that the response to a GetElements
would include an identification of each simple element falling somewhere
under the "Top Element"  and its value. Would complex element names be
returned?

Thanks!

Happy Holidays!

Bill Wagner