[MFD] Reminder, action request :Comments needed on MFD white paper

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 20:16:38 UTC 2010

Hi,

Very good comments Nancy!

Using IPP as Imaging Peripheral Protocol (to keep the
IPP acronym) seems counterproductive - because it
confuses both the standards reader and the end user.

I object to putting "Web Services" into the name at all
- the latest hot protocol stack will surely change again
and other non-WS bindings will probably be desirable.

I suggest "Imaging Job Protocol (IJP)".

Or "Imaging Equipment Protocol (IEP)".

Or, to evolve from IPP, "Internet Multifunction Protocol
(IMFP)" - web searches don't find collisions with any of
these.

Note that "Ixxx Device Protocol (IDP)" collides with
Xerox and NetWare protocol stacks.

And "Imaging Service/System Protocol (ISP)" collides
badly with Internet Service Provider.

Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
email: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
 579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
 734-944-0094
summer:
 PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
 906-494-2434

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 5:54 PM, <Nancy.Chen at okidata.com> wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> Here are my comments.
>
> *“Introduction” Section*
>
> Line 16* – *I would like to clarify the meaning of "protocol" used here *“Imaging
> Peripherals Protocol”? * Is this a concrete protocol binding from MFD
> semantic model?  If so, how about “Internet Imaging Protocol”, being a
> better advancement from "Internet Printing Protocol". Or “Imaging Web
> Services"?
>
> * “Evolution of Semantic Model” Section*
>
> 1.        Could we have a better title? What about “*Proven and Expected
> Benefits of PWG Semantic Model*” ? * *Or simply "*Benefits of PWG Semantic
> Model" *with subsections on "Proven" and "expected" benefits? I think it
> better to use “Benefits” as the theme and weave the evolution of the
> semantic model as the roadmap to achieve these benefits – essentially
> telling the “Why” of the Semantic Model.
> 2.        With “benefits” as the theme, I think it’s better to have
> subtitled sections clearly list all proven or expected benefits of PWG
> Semantic Model.
> 3.        Along with benefits, I think it's better to have the
> disadvantages of full-proprietary approach without a standard that could
> cost the entire imaging device/solution industry be illustrated in parallel
> to make reader truly understand the cited benefits.
> 4.         Line 28-30 –The “gateway” is used here and also line 134 to
> imply a specific architecture component used for concrete protocol mapping
> involving syntactic translation from one data model to the other for
> different protocols.  But “gateway” has many other meanings in general, the
> use of this term can easily lead to confusion for reader from my opinion.
>
> *“Model Extensibility and Vendor Differentiation” Section*
>
> If we have consensus on changing the title of the previous section to “*Proven
> and Expected Benefits of PWG Semantic Model*”,  then I think it’s better
> to fold this section under the previous section as a subsection.
>
> *“Value of Web Services Mapping” Section*
>
> In terms of the "Web Services" technology, there maybe other approaches
> such as RPC, REST, other than SOAP & XML. A brief mentioning of this and
> explain your defintion of "Web Services" here equates to "SOAP protocol and
> XML data binding" approach would be helpful to clear confusion.
>
> Line 59-60 :  I feel some transition is needed from the first paragraph to
> the list of WS-* standard associated with web services.  What are you trying
> to say to the Value of Web Services mapping by listing these standards?
>
> Lines 78-82: It’s not clear to me that this paragraph add more value to the
> “value of Web Services Mapping”.
>
> Like previous sections, I think it's better to also mention the
> disadvantages of other mapping approaches in order to convince readers this
> is the best.
>
> *“Effective Standards and PWG”*
>
> Line 112-117 beginning with "Proprietary": I got lost here. Is this
> [...]

believed to be clean.