[MFD] Question on Media Size

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jan 23 16:36:47 UTC 2012

Glen,

Within IPP ("media-supported") and the PWG media names (5101.1), the "custom_min_WIDTHxHEIGHTunits" and "custom_max_WIDTHxHEIGHTunits" names communicate that the printer supports custom media sizes and what the range of acceptable values it. I think we just do the same thing in the Semantic Model.

For media-col's "media-size" member attribute we use a rangeOfInteger value for the "x-dimension" and "y-dimension" sub=member attributes when reporting the supported values ("media-size-supported"). I don't know whether the SM supports this kind of representation for supported MediaSize values...

On Jan 23, 2012, at 8:28 AM, Petrie, Glen wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Has there been or is there a set of variable for “media size or “printer supported media size”  that is expressed as the minimum paper size and  maximum paper size.   For example a printer may only be able to grab paper that is 3x 5 and only has a paper tray or feeder that is only letter size wide.  However, the printer can support any media size between these to limits.
>
> To me this makes it easier to report media size supported.   The printer does not have to report all the possible size; which could be a large list.   The client can use this data to display list of media within the range.
>
> Glen
>

> --

believed to be clean.