[MFD] Meeting Minutes: IEEE/ISTO - PWG/Semantic Model Working Group, 1 July 2013

William A Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Wed Jul 3 21:11:10 UTC 2013

Interesting arguments on both sides. although I am not quite sure about the
"consensus that we need to define a hardcopy document object and its
supporting elements and semantics." except perhaps in the context of the
"AddHardcopyDocument" operation. I agree with Mike's earlier observation
that the current definition of this operation is insufficient for use as a
copy function. I suspect that it is also inadequate for use in FaxOut and
EmailOut.

Although I respect Pete's opinions, I am unconvinced that a Copy function
(with an enhanced  AddHardcopyDocument) cannot be reasonably modeled as a
print function (which is not to say I am certain that it can.) My
understanding of the model is that it represents neither the actual
implementation nor the User interface..rather it provides  a model for the
Client - Service interface. Users can and will still think  in terms of Copy
vs Print.

As to some of the specific restrictions AddHardcopyDocument puts on the
actual implementation of the scan, such as requiring that the scan be done
before print start (probably reasonable for fax), these may be clear with
Pete's in depth knowledge of the schema but is not obvious to many of us.

The arguments relative to count,  particularly if charging for copy prints
is different than for print prints, may be more significant. The model must
accommodate the peculiarities of marketing and sales, even if they are
illogical. But I have no knowledge of pricing structures. Still, it might be
generally true that pricing for prints depends upon original document
source.printing local documents is  a different price than printing remotely
access documents. in which case adding scanned documents as a source should
not be a problem.

I  appreciate Pete's taking the time to provide his inputs, but as far as I
know, he has been the only one to raise objections to an approach that we
have been pursuing in SM, Cloud and IPP for some time. I am not sure that
Pete will continue to provide his insight and suggest that others provide
their input on this promptly, since we have already proceeded with the
specifications.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner