PWG-ANNOUNCE> Call for Extended Plenary at Portland

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Sat Apr 20 00:06:50 EDT 2002

At the April meeting in Woburn, we identified synergy among several PWG
projects and proposed or eluded to some potential new ones. I would like
to schedule an unprecedented, ALL DAY PLENARY at our next meeting to
discuss convergence of PWG projects. Example convergence topics:

1. Consider portions of UPDF as a means of communicating device
capabilities in PSI
2. Use PSI methods or IPP operations to filter "configured" vs "possible"
device capabilities for UPDF drivers
3. Use UPDF in place of CONEG for IPP FAX
4. Investigate viable alternatives for standard universal image format
5. Describe a common way to move device capabilities and job ticket
"objects" through a print system
6. Develop a simplified print model that works with or without adoption by
any one, specific platform vendor
7. Intersect the Printer MIB, IPP printer attributes and IEEE 1284.1 and
express in XML, to facilitate web services based printer management

To this end, I am proposing the following schedule for the Portland
meeting (week June 24)

Monday - IFX (unless group decides not to meet)
Tuesday - uPnP Print (Members only)
   UPDF and/or IFX may meet in parallel and/or conduct Tue evening
sessions
Wednesday - PSI (with 1 or 2 hrs for UPDF "investigative tutorial")
Thursday - ALL DAY PLENARY (see above)
Friday - XHTML-Print

I will accept feedback on this schedule until April 30. By then, in terms
of arranging Portland facilities, I would like to know if we need Monday,
breakouts for Tuesday or any evening accommodations.

For discussion, I suggest we open a thread on PWG at PWG.ORG. Please don't
use PWG-ANNOUNCE to hash this out.

Please note... if you are new or not familiar with the PWG reflector, you
MUST subscribe and post from the SAME e-mail address otherwise the spam
filter will prevent your posts from appearing.