[WIMS] RE: [Pwg-Announce] Registration of additional PDLs in IANAPrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Mon Feb 15 17:51:03 UTC 2010

Hello Chris et al.,

Many thanks for your information. I think the confusion inherent the CMD
entry evidenced by the list
(http://www.undocprint.org/formats/communication_protocols/ieee_1284#command
_set)  is sound rational for the proposed PWG Command Set Format for IEEE
1284 Device ID 1.0 candidate standard
(ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/wd/wd-pmp1284cmdset10-20100125.pdf).

For some reason, your original email did not get through to me, and perhaps
others, so I would recommend that those who have not yet viewed this list of
collected CMD strings take a look at it.

The intent of the PWG Command Set Format document (as  is the web page that
Chris referenced) is to allow application developers to understand what
print and command languages are supported by the device they are
communicating with.  Although the PWG Command Set Format document does allow
for private language types to be identified,  understanding is better
achieved when the language is identified via a public standard such as the
IANAPrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC or a MIME type. That is why the PWG is
seeking to determine what additional languages should be registered.
Registration does, of course, require a reference to a complete description
of the language.

We encourage those who know of some current, popular printer or command
language, likely to appear in a new product, to identify the language and
the proper identification string (along with descriptive information) to be
included under IANAPrtInterpreterLangFamilyTC. For the languages currently
included, and the type of  identification information necessary, see
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaprinter-mib.

Thanks,

Bill Wagner, Chairman PWG/WIMS