[Pwg-Announce] Call for Review of langPDF/PS/PCL variants for IANAPrinter MIB (30 April 2010)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon May 3 17:47:11 UTC 2010

Hi George,

Right - we're only talking about the graphics drawing aspect
of these printer languages.

The IEEE 1284 Device ID format only supports a list of
printer languages - it cannot be extended (interoperably)
for these other device-specific aspects.

The PWG cannot actually extend the capabilities keywords
or their syntax in the base IEEE 1284 spec.

So the scope of comments we're requesting is only to identify
any other common variants of PCL (for example) that should
be registered with IANA.

All of these are enumerated values in the single Printer MIB
integer object prtInterpreterLangFamily.  Other objects such
as prtInterpreterLangLevel and prtInterpreterDescription can
be used by vendors to distinguish vendor-unique features.

Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 12:50 PM, George Liu <george.liu at ricoh-tech.com> wrote:
> Unlike PDF, which is a document format, Postscript and PCL/PCL-XL are PDL, which means printer-device specific.
>
> A Tray-1 PCL command for HP printer means Bypass Tray, but means the first tray under the printer engine for Ricoh printer.
> Also, in Postscript, there are many vendor specific Postscript setpagedevice commands.
>
> How will the new command set definition handles this case?
>
> Are we only taking about the graphics drawing part not the device control part?
> Or are we making "langPCL5e" only for a specific vender?
>
> George

believed to be clean.