[Pwg-Announce] Call for Review of langPDF/PS/PCL variants for IANAPrinter MIB (30 April 2010)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Mon May 3 22:14:32 UTC 2010

Hi Mike,

Ah - I think I understand what you mean now.

In most Printer MIB v1/v2 entries as well as *all*
of the PDF/PS/PCL proposed entries, the vendor
name is BEFORE the name of the language in the
ASN.1 comments - that's where it belongs.

And there is no IANA procedure for changing the
comments on an *already* registered value (such as
you suggested for the base PS and PCL values).

I want to avoid changing Printer MIB v1 registrations,
for stability - unless they're seriously defective - there's
deployed software out there that displays these ASN.1
comments in a "more info" tab/button.

Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
> On May 3, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Ira McDonald wrote:
>> Hi George and Mike,
>>
>> I *strongly* disagree with dropping "HP" and "Adobe" from the
>> ASN.1 comments for these new registrations.
>
> Ira, I'm not suggesting that we drop "HP" or "Adobe", just that we adopt the format used by the current entries (which puts the vendor name *after* the format name) for consistency. I absolutely agree that we need to still have the vendor listed since HP and Adobe control/own the corresponding formats.
>
>> Ever since RFC 1759, the company that defined each printer
>> language has been named explicitly in all ASN.1 comments.
>> This is *very* important in order to distinguish from (possible
>> future) registrations of other vendor-extended variants.
>>
>> Look at all of our recent XPS, OpenXPS, JDF, JMF, PPML, etc.
>> IANA registrations as well as the Printer MIB v1/v2 legacy.
>>
>> If Ricoh wishes, they can request registration of vendor variants
>> of PCL (that include "Ricoh" in both the enum tags and ASN.1
>> comments).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> - Ira
>>
>> Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
>> Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
>> Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
>> IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
>> Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
>> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
>> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
>> mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
>> winter:
>>  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
>>  734-944-0094
>> summer:
>>  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
>>  906-494-2434
>>

>> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>>> That's probably appropriate; Ira, let's normalize the PCL and PostScript
>>> descriptions to match the format of the current registrations:
>>>
>>>        langPCL(3),          -- PCL.  Starting with PCL version 5,
>>>                             -- HP-GL/2 is included as part of the
>>>                             -- PCL language.
>>>                             -- PCL and HP-GL/2 are registered
>>>                             -- trademarks of Hewlett-Packard
>>>                             -- Company.
>>>
>>> langPS(6), -- PostScript (tm) Language
>>>
>>>                             -- Postscript - a trademark of Adobe
>>>                             -- Systems Incorporated which may be
>>>                             -- registered in certain jurisdictions
>>>
>>> Looks like the existing langPDF and the new langPDF* definitions are already
>>> using the same conventions, so just the new PCL and PS descriptions need
>>> updating.

>>> I'd like to suggest change the description for langPCL3, langPCL3GUI,
>>> langPCL5e, langPCL5c. Rename "HP Printer Command Language xxx" to "Printer
>>> Command Language xxx"
>>>
>>> George

believed to be clean.