[Cloud] RE: [Pwg-Announce] Call for use cases

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Sat Apr 16 01:41:05 UTC 2011

I like this use case format (Thanks Justin Hutchings). I submit the next
two, for Cloud and/or IPP Everywhere.  They were observed at a nursing
conference  I am currently at  (with my wife. I haven't changed careers yet)
and they are very real and I suspect, not uncommon. Current solutions were
inconvenient and time consuming, and the output was not completely
satisfactory,

Title

User of standard application wants to print checks at offsite location.

Description

The treasurer of a small training company, that is holding a meeting and
seminar at a resort, needs to print out 20  checks for training personnel.
He uses QuickBooks R for accounting and to print out checks, and he updates
the information in this program to  reflect latest hours worked, bonuses,
etc. The resort site does have 802.11 and does have a printer available for
guest use (for a fee). The treasurer has check blanks.

Goal

Treasurer can submit proper  checks with current balances to personnel
during closing ceremony at remote site  using the same accounting software
he uses to track all expenses.

Preconditions

TBD - to an extent, this is part of solution since at the present time site
does not have advanced capabilities that we which to define. However, we can
note that security is one of many concerns.

Trigger

User loads check blanks on printer and initiates a print command from an
application that can generate print content

Steps

1.      User updates his accounting grogram, determines what checks need to
be printed and insures that checks amounts, payees and signature are
correct.

2.      User locates an available printer

3.      User ensures that printer is free, locks out other jobs and loads
the check blanks.

4.      User initiates check printing. (put in a validate job operation?)

5.      The system (or the application) submits the job to the printer.

6.      Checks are printed and immediately taken off the printer.

7.      Cost of printing  (not including media) is calculated and sent to
treasurer's account.

Alternate flows

??

Postconditions

The accounting program properly reflects all outstanding checks. The
treasurer has a stack of properly printed checks.  The Treasurer  will be
charged for the

Us of the printer.

Title

User wants to print specially formatted text on printer at resort site

Description

At a seminar located at a country resort, a factotum and general gofer has
been asked to provide 80 sets of ten keywords/phrases, clearly printed on
2-inch by 1-inch paper slips for use in a get acquainted exercise. Costs are
to be minimized. Gofer has a laptop with a word processer program. Resort
has a wi-fi network available to users and a networked MFDat the business
centre. Attendant at business center will charge for any printed sheets
removed from premises

Goal

Gofer must provide paper slips  of the specified size with legible  text,
promptly and cheaply

Preconditions

TBD - to an extent, this is part of solution since at the present time site
does not have advanced capabilities that we which to define. However, we can
note that security is one of many concerns.

Trigger

Gofer uses word processer program to lay out the phrases in  a table format,
adjusting margins, font size and spacing to use landscape format to print
five phrases per line and eight lines of phrases per page. The required 80
phrases should be handled in two pages.

Steps

1.      Gofer creates the page descriptions on his word processor program.

2.      Gofer locates an available printer

3.      User initiates printing. (put in a validate job operation?)

4.      The system (or the application) submits the job to the printer.

5.      Two sheets are printed with 80 phrases. User must then use scissors
to cut part

Alternate flows

??

Postconditions

Gofer will be charged for printing  two  single sided sheets.

believed to be clean.