Draft of the new prtGeneralPrinterName MIB object

Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Fri Aug 2 10:14:14 EDT 1996

     I think the answer to Michael's question is in Jay's description.
     "The value of this object can be any arbitrary string..." If an
     administrator wanted to use the AppleTalk name, or any name, he may.
     But the spec must not limit he ability to use some other name if he
     wished. Incidentally, I would not suggest that the AppleTalk name be
     used, since multiple printers can have the same name, and
     differentiation is typically accomplished by appending a digit one
     higher than that appended to any identical base name discovered. The
     names then, can either be nonunique or nonconsistent from power cycle
     to power cycle, depending upon whether one considers the name to
     include the differentiating digit. Further, printers tend to be
     multiprotocol, with the AppleTalk name not necessarily being preserved
     across other protocols.

     I have suggested...not to strongly...  that the AppleTalk printer name
     (and zone)  would be an appropriate entry for the  new
     prtChannelMagicCookie object associated with AppleTalk PAP.

     Bill Wagner, DPI.